Monday, February 22, 2010

Unconditional Love

She was born on September 20, 1995.

Her mother was brown. Her father was yellow. However, she and all her brothers and sisters were black.

Our story together began when she was about 8 weeks old. She was hand picked and I brought her home in a box.

I gave her the name "Bailey". She also answered to just "B". Her voracious appetite earned her the nickname "Pigetha".

She quickly became my four legged sidekick, confidant and 70 pound lap dog.

She loved swimming, playing fetch, car rides and neighborhood walks. The squirrels and chipmunks feared her.

She was a gentle giant with my children from the day they came into the world. And she had a knack for keeping their faces clean and helping them finish that one last bite of whatever was in their hand. They loved her and it was more than obvious how much she loved them.

For the last 14 years she has given me and my family sheer joy, affection, and complete unconditional love.

After a sudden illness we had to say goodbye to our dear Bailey, this past Friday. I think it was the hardest decision I've had to make, ever.

As I sit here and type this, I look at the the place where her bed and bowls have always been. Today those places are now empty.

The backyard is empty.

The place she slept in the hall is empty.

Her barking when I pull up in the driveway is silent.

I keep looking and listening for her.....she is not there.



My heart aches.....because Bailey took a piece of it with her on Friday.













(Please pray for our family....we are struggling)

12 comments:

j said...

I watched the video and I'm crying with you.

Tammy, I'm so sorry that Bailey is gone. It's obvious that she was a "smiling" dog except maybe when posing in water (was water play serious business or did she not like it?).

Please give your children a hug for me - I just know this has hurt them terribly. I hope it is a comfort to know that Bailey was loved SO WELL by your family while she was here - that's the best anyone can do by their pet. She was blessed to have you.

Hugs and prayers for your family.

Parsley said...

I can't even watch the video. I know I'd cry. I have 6 dogs, one with cancer, and have known the loss of loosing a furry child.

My heart goes out to you.

When you feel like meeting a new blogger, stop by my blog.

Ms. Mess said...

I am so sorry Tammy. I know that this is tough. Love you guys!

Bonnie said...

Oh I'm so sorry! They become our kids, too and it is painful when they have to leave us.

Irene said...

Oh, I can feel your sadness. Our cat Taki passed away a year ago last December. He was hardly a year old . We still get emotional over his favorite blouse. We hide his pictures from our eldest who used to read with him on her desk. I know it will feel less painful with time. But right now, the best thing to do is to hug each other and cry and remember the good times and cry some more, and laugh with the fun of it and cry again...
Praying for you and your family.

Rachel said...

I'm so sorry!! I hope that your family can heal from this very soon...

Muthering Heights said...

Awwwww, sweetie, I am SO SORRY to hear about Bailey...I will certainly pray for you all!

:( Hugs!!!

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Oh, through tears I type, bc I know what you are going through (seacrh my blog "In Memory of Tesla). I really do. Our fur babies are very much a family member, and when they pass the rainbow bridge, we grieve for them just the same.

I hope you feel my prayers and husg, Tammy. Gos bless you and your family.

The Source said...

What a sweet tribute to Bailey. It certainly looks like she was well loved and happy for all of her years. Hugs and prayers your way as your family copes with the loss of their friend and companion.

littletoesandcheerios said...

Crying as well. My mom recently lost her dog too. I know how this feels as well. I am so sorry for your loss and I know your kids must be lost without Bailey. We just have to remember that these animals were born reguardless and how lucky they are to live in our homes and to be shown such love. Time is all that can help at this point. And you will always have such great memories. ((HUGS))

Abbie the Basket Hound and Humans said...

Wow! Just wow! Bailey was beautiful and blessed your life in so many ways. Her passing is a sting in your heart, but your memories will help lessen that through the years. Praying for your hearts and for a peace that transends all understanding. She was not just a dog, she was your baby. I understand that, I have three kidnines!
God bless!

Kristen said...

I'm so sorry for your loss! I grew up with a black Lab mix, Chelsey, who was born in 1991 and was put to sleep in 2003, while I was in college. I had a very hard time getting over her death.

Now my husband and I have chocolate Lab Mango, who turned 2 in November. There is something so sweet about Retrievers. I think I will always have one.