Monday, September 13, 2010

Labrador Diaries -- Volume 5



This post is not for the weak.

There will be no pictures. You are welcome.

Because the horrid images are seared into my brain, as well as my kid's.

We last left our villains dog wonders on the hunt for fresh meat. Squirrel meat.

The hunt was over last weekend when they captured victim #1, an unsuspecting young squirrel who was obviously not paying attention while coming down the tree.

With the details spared........suffice it to say we had our first and hopefully last squirrel funeral in the GRITS backyard.

After the private ceremony, the Princess declared, "I think all those other squirrels up in that tree probably learned a very important lesson today!"


Not so much......fast forward to this morning as we rushed around getting ready for church.

I gazed out the kitchen window only to find Sophie with "something" in the yard. As I stepped out on the patio, I realized she had victim #2 between her jaws.

Again, I will spare you the details, but when I hollered for LegoMan to come help me.....I almost had to resuscitate him! He will probably never come when I call him again. Ever.


I suspect the Princess was wrong......there were NO lessons learned from the squirrel viewing deck in that tree. And I'm sure today's burial will probably not be the last. There will be plenty more squirrels unknowingly making that final trip down the tree trunk. For it is natures way.


WARNING TO ALL SQUIRRELS, these deceivingly, sweet, smiling faces may be the last ones you see:




1 comment:

The Source said...

Uh oh. Poor unsuspecting little squirrel! I guess we're lucky here...Lucy's probably not big enough to tangle withe a squirrel without getting her own doggie rear end kicked.