This week’s version of We Are THAT Family’s blog carnival include photos that have never graced the pages of any scrapbook.
They are a couple of photos that I have had stored in my bedside table for the last several years. I just didn't know quite what to do with them. But today they are making their “scrapbook” debut.
In honor of his birthday today, I would like everyone to meet my dad, Nick the Greek, son of Gus:
On the back of this first photo, it was dated October 1950. So it was sometime around my dad entering 1st grade. He attended a local "military school", hence the uniform. The glasses have been part of his life since he was just a little toddler.
I’m not quite sure when the photo above was taken, but I am guessing it was taken when my dad was in his early 20’s. Which would be, ohhhh, around 1965ish???
A bit of trivia here, to keep you captivated. Nick owned his own radio station in South Alabama. WLPR 96 FM. The genre-- elevator music! I have very fond memories of hanging out with him at the station. And I even remember him taking me on the building's roof to check the antenna!
Over the years, my dad has offered lots and lots of wisdom for me to now pass on to my children.
- Drink your milk
- Always go the bathroom before any trip, even if you don't have to. "Just go squeeze"
- No meal is complete without a healthy dose of "roughage"
- Always wear your seatbelt
- When riding in your friend's car, or college van, sit in the very middle seat of the car. It is much better to put a few people between you and the frame of the vehicle.
- Girls should always wear their hair long.
- People from Florida cannot drive (sorry folks)
And one thing I tried to teach him was when your daughter says she is going to be "sick" in your car, you better pull over. He'll tell you I've thrown up in every one of his cars except the one he now owns.
So on your birthday, Pop, thanks for all the things you have done for me. After all, if it weren't for you, I would be just another GRITS, and not a Greek one!
Happy Birthday. I love you!
Now for plenty more Sincerely 'Fro Me to You action, pop on over to Kristen's place at We Are THAT Family!