Monday, April 7, 2008

In the news....

I have to admit I am a news junkie. Each evening after the kids go to bed, I make my rounds on the Internet. I peruse my favorite blogs (see sidebar), The Tuscaloosa News online, and then flip on over to three news websites: Foxnews, MSNBC, and CNN. I'm not sure why these three, it's just part of the ritual. (see previous posts about OCD son).

Anyway, tonight a couple of news titles caught my eye and I felt compelled to make comments.

#1: '80s boy band New Kids on the Block to reunite



Ummmm, really??? Because I must admit that I never loved these guys. Not even back in the day....and I WAS there. I also never knew that taking this picture back in, oh, about 1988 would have been so important now:



This, not so good photo, is a poster that hung outside my dorm room. I made it all by myself. Why I didn't have sense enough to take the picture directly in front of the poster, I have no idea. It was made from NKOTB --pulled that right out of the ol' memory-- trading cards. I'm sure I had a few sarcastic remarks next to some of them, but the title of the poster is : NEWSFLASH The New Kids Hit Puberty (Finally).

And why I saved this little jewel for the last 2 decades is also beyond me, but somehow I knew I would need it:


It's a handy dandy little book all about the NKOTB. WOW! Who gave this to me and why? I'm positive it was a joke, but the whole thing eludes me. *sigh* All I can say now is one word: eBay! Ladies let the bidding wars begin!




#2: Babies' lack of sleep boosts later obesity risk

The story highlights:


# Tots who sleep less than 12 hours daily at greater risk for overweight in preschool
# Kids who slept the least, watched most TV had greatest chance of becoming obese
# Sleep's impact on appetite hormones may explain the effect


You may ask why this story caught my attention. Well, maybe because the first 9 months of my son's life is a complete and utter blur. He came home from the hospital with his days and nights mixed up and nursed every 2-3 hours for MANY months. I honestly don't think he slept through the night until he was about 6 months old. So based on this article he should be quite the porker! I bet most obese people can't remove their SLIM jeans without unbuttoning them. You decide:


Count his ribs with me, if you will.

Check out those arms and legs.

2 comments:

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

Hey, girl! You won the book from my blog! :) Email me your address.

Heather said...

Oh oh oh-oh-oh you've got the right stuff :-) I'm still laughing thinking about that book. I never really liked them either, but this reunion could be interesting... EVeryone needs a good washer and dryer and what better time to get it than for your b'day! It's almost here... Talked to Farley today - I can't wait to see y'all at the beach:D