Thursday, April 17, 2008

These are a few of my favorite things

Today when I got home from work, I was greeted by a small brown box on my doorstep. It even had my name on it. After prying through all the packing tape, I was most excited to see a bow topped box with this written on it:



I knew immediately who had sent me this little box of joy! My little sister. Through the years we have been connoisseurs of many types of candy. We are experts, if you will. So, instead of having 40 pink flamingos placed in my yard, she opted for the sensible sugar filled gift!

I don't know if any of you are like me, but as I saw different pieces of candy I had various memories pop into my head. Take a look in the box with me, if you will:


Ok, who remembers these little jewels? Why did we think they were so cool?? Anyone remember the ones wrapped in paper, and when you blew on them it looked like smoke was coming out. Did we have a Surgeon General in the 1970's?


GUM! I have loved bubble gum for as long as I can remember. I could make some pretty huge bubbles and even make a double bubble. I always wanted to enter one of those bubble blowing contests. You'll be glad to know that Bazooka gum is still hard as a brick, it tastes exactly the same, and Bazooka Joe cartoons now reside on the inside of the gum wrapper!


This is a little menagerie of some old classics that I still enjoy. Especially the tootsie rolls! I'm not too familiar with the Walnettos.


Cinnamon candy has always been a favorite of mine. Anyone remember the cinnamon toothpicks??? And the Hot Dog gum I had forgotten about. We used to see who could keep the Atomic Fireballs in their mouth the longest before taking it out.


These precious items remind me of my age and that they could ruin my dental work! So I will proceed with caution and abort if necessary.


These couple of items will have to be consumed by someone other than me. I have never cared for the root beer barrel, and I have NO idea what this pipe shaped gummy thing is. Something tells me it's licorice.....*gag* That reminds me of those horrible Good N Plenty candy my dad tricked me into trying (real funny Pop).


These candies make me think of my childhood Halloweens. I vividly remember enjoying a good candy necklace. And you never see Charms Pops suckers anymore. My favorite flavor used to be the blue one!


So, I had to save my favorite things in my goody box for last. I used to eat my weight in Lemon Heads while I was a candy striper at Brookwood Hospital when I was about 13 years old. Fun Dip and I go waaaaay back. I really like the packs with three flavors, like the good ol' days. Who else remember Zotz! I have not had one of these in years, but this is on the all time favorite list. The fizzy center is as good as I remember. Last but certainly not least, the wax lips. I think I got a pair of these every Halloween and loved chewing the wax as much as sporting them. I think somehow that won't be the same.

A few that were left out of the mix but should be included are: big SweetTarts, Spree, and Wacky Wafers. Thanks, sis, for the groovy gift. Would anyone like to comment about their favorite candy? Thanks for sharing my goody box with me!

Eat your heart out Angelina Jolie!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to like one similar to FunDip, but it was called Lik-M-Aid.

Another fav from when I could eat loads of candy and STILL zip my pants the next week was Charleston Chew. Freeze and Whack, remember?

Oh yes, and Now and Laters. We used to sneak to the little corner store during ballet class for those goodies and suck on them all class. No no one choked. :)

You can pass the root beer barrels onto me. Love those!

Fun post, thanks for sharing your fun gift box!

Nicolette said...

Looking at those things brought back many memories. Like all the places we used to hide to eat our candy when we didn't think we were supposed to be eating it. Glad you like it! Happy 40th, sis!! Love you!

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

How fun is that?!