Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Do your part

Today is election day, in case you’ve been under a rock.

In this country we have the privilege to vote.  If you don’t want to, you don’t have to.  Nobody makes us.  But, in my opinion, you forfeit your right to complain if you don’t vote. 

We don’t live under a dictatorship and there is certainly no royal lineage.  We can all actually think for ourselves, well, most of us. 

I remember the first time I had the privilege of voting.  The year was 1988.  My candidates of choice, Bush/Quayle, of course.  Not even a Greek guy (Dukakis) on the other ticket could change my mind.  I ain’t running no liberal show here in case you haven’t noticed. 

Woops, did I type that out loud.  Sorry.

Heck, it’s my blog.

I am going to be honest, I am sick of it all!! The rhetoric, the finger pointing, the smearing commercials, the pre-poll projections and the seemingly lack of intelligence by some. 

I’m tired of all the questions not being answered by candidates and more importantly the thought of my taxes going up sickens me to new levels! 

Yes, I have laughed at the SNL sketches.  They’ve been a nice break to all the hoopla.  Tina Fey rocks Sarah Palin.  BTW, did you Sarah can see Russia from her front porch?  How cool is that.   Anywhoo.

I’m just going to leave it at that….because I could go on a tirade as to what peeves me about the candidates and their followers, but I won’t. 

This country is so far off track from what our forefathers devised.  I shutter to think what kind of changes may come our way in the next decade.  I think the United States is at moral crossroads here.  Again.  It’s my blog.

Am I worried about this election.  I’d be lying if I said “no”.  I’ve been a worrier since I entered this world and 40 years later, I can’t say I’ve given that trait up.  And, unfortunately, I think I have passed it on to one boy child in this house.

However, the difference is that I KNOW who is in control of every circumstance on this planet and in this country. GOD has a plan.  I may not like it, but He allows us to be in certain situations for a reason.  Elections included.  God IS in control.

Ironically, the Bible verse I chose for my “life verse” many years ago is this:

Proverbs 3:5-6

“Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.  In all they ways acknowledge Him and HE WILL DIRECT THY PATHS.”

 

Say a prayer and GO VOTE!

Then be sure to stop by Starbuck’s for a free coffee, followed by a free Krispy Kreme doughnut which can be dipped in some free Ben & Jerry’s ice cream.  Gosh, I LOVE this country!

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

7 comments:

Jules from "The Roost" said...

We are thinking the same way this morning....donuts included! :)

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

I have been worried about it too. but right on who is really in control. I always speak of 'giving it to God" I need to accept my own advice-and yours!
Go...get your sticker!

Peggy said...

I voted this morning on my way to work - and not to just get my free Starbucks fix, but that did help get me out of bed. I was at the polls before 7:00 a.m. and joined a line of about 200+ people who had the same idea I had (get their early to avoid the crowds - what were we thinking?). I second your comment that no matter what happens with the election results God is in control (and thanks to my late 80's obsession with Twila Paris her song "God is in Control" is now my inner-soundtrack for the day.) :-) Our country may have changed from the way it was first established but I praise God that He never changes - He's the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. That promise will be how we all will get through the next four years - no matter who is elected.

Happy Election Day to all!

Anonymous said...

That's right! I did my part! Just wanted to tell you my sister Rena and I are starting a new meme called The Daily Mercies on Sundays! Come check us out, and pass along. Thanks,
Rena: http://insertgracehere.wordpress.com/

Ginger: http://heresmycuplord.wordpress.com/

Kristin - The Goat said...

My Dad and I are the lone Republicans in my family and my Mother and sisters are all Dems. I speak nothing of politics when I'm with them and I just nod when my Mother tries to talk to me. It's been a real tough few years. I voted last week. I have sent my prayers out into the world and have faith that the Country will be alright no matter who wins.

Heather said...

You know I'm with you on this one. I'm trying to figure out where I can hide my money for Obama takes it from me!!! Loved the pics of the kiddos from Halloween!!!

j said...

Now as Christians we are called to pray for our President, not bad mouth him, and maintain our Christian witness.

And your life verse will be embraced by me in this too.

Blessings Tammy.