Sunday, May 11, 2008

M-O-M

No, that does not stand for Milk Of Magnesia. And if that's the first thing that came to your mind, you need more help than I do.

I just thought this Mother's Day I would share photos of all the "moms" in my life. I had the privilege of having my mom and stepdad down for the weekend, which I will blog about tomorrow. So, I got to spend Mother's Day with my mom. I have also been blessed during my lifetime to not only have two, but three grandmothers. They have each meant so much in different ways.


This is my momma. Mother of four and chocolate-chip cookie maker extraordinare! She is a wonderful Christian woman who serves the Lord in so many ways. All her grandkids call her Yaya, which is Greek for grandmother.


This is my mother's side of the family, four generations strong. From left to right is my daughter, me, my mom and Grandmother who is 80 something years young. Grandmother can crochet anything from slippers to blankets. She tried passing on the crocheting talent to me when I was younger but this left-handed girl could NOT get the hang of it.


This is the wonderful matriarch of my Greek family, better known as Yaya. She is who my daughter is named after. Believe it or not, this beautiful woman will be 93 this year! One of my favorite Greek dishes she makes is spinach and rice, and her Greek pastries would melt in your mouth! Baklava, of course, would be my favorite.


This is my late Grandmother Matthews who passed away in May 2004. My mom and stepdad have been married 30 years and from day one she loved us like her very own. Her specialty was down home country cooking and gardening. I can still hear her laugh and remember the smell of her kitchen on a Saturday morning. I miss her dearly.


Well, now on the lighter side I must share with you a couple of my favorite things I received on this Mother's Day. Well, I still have never had breakfast in bed on Mother's Day, which is fine because I'm sure it would be quite expensive to get the Cracker Barrel crew to fix Uncle Herschel’s Favorite in my kitchen.

Both kids made me a special message in a bottle at church today. They were so nice, and the sticky glue on the bottle was a nice touch. My son, who has a hard time with his creative side, wished me a generic "Happy Mother's Day". The princess shared a message of her own:



Last week, while at school, my son did get in touch with his creative side. Today he presented me with a journal about me and him. Each page had a title and something related to the topic. Here are a couple of my favorite pages:


His acrostic is quite clever don't you think. And I'll take Tidy as my favorite. Perhaps it will rub off on my kids someday. Maybe.


In his eyes, this is the only difference between me and him. He left the second one blank because he couldn't think of anything else. Hilarious.

They also presented me with funny cards and few of my favorite movies, which included Bill Cosby "Himself" and the first complete season of The Brady Bunch. I mean who better to receive on Mother's Day than Carol Brady!


So, from me to you, I hope everybody had Mother's Day that was as "speshle" as mine! The only thing that would have made my day any more "speshle" would have been a Mother's Day nap! Oh well.

2 comments:

DD said...

Hello! I'm a fellow GRITS :) I got to your blog from Valarie Lea and have really enjoyed it. Come visit me some time. :)

Well Behaved Krissy

Valarie Lea said...

I think that is really cool that you got the first season of The Brady Bunch. Thats a really good present. I love the picture with the kids, your such a pretty family. :)