Monday, October 20, 2008

One word: BLESSing

 

Last night I had the privilege of attending Michael W. Smith and Steven Curtis Chapman’s “United Tour” concert.  And I mean it WAS a privilege and a blessing!!

I have been a fan of both these men for most of my life.  I’ve had their albums on cassette tape, CD, and now listen to them on my iPod.  I can remember taping their songs off the radio on a cassette player back in the early 80’s.  I'm not ashamed.

I’ve seen each of them in concert over the years and for these two to be paired together on the same stage was unbelievable.  And to top it off, I managed to purchase tickets on the 11th row!!  It almost brought tears of joy to my eyes as they walked out together. 

I could slightly relate to an 11 year old watching the Jonas Brothers come out on stage.  But not quite.

The last time I saw Michael W. Smith in concert, I left SLIGHTLY disappointed because he didn’t sing a lot of his oldie-but-goodie songs.  Not last night. 

They both sang several of the songs that have been most popular over the years.  They also sang songs from their new albums, which I will most definitely be purchasing very soon.

It was also neat to see that both MWS and SCC sons were playing in the band.

I’m sure like many others, I wondered in the back of my mind how SCC was doing since the death of his daughter Maria Sue back in May.  He did speak about this for a few minute and explained his family was learning to live a “new normal.”  And it was great to hear him sing “Cinderella” which was inspired by his little girls.

The crowd clapped, stood to their feet and joined in song most of the evening.  I even saw a couple of cell-phones swaying in the darkness.

At one point, MWS talked about taking requests, but I think when some crazed fan shouted “Freebird” he picked the song himself.  Only in Alabama, folks.

God’s presence was surely in THAT place.  If you are a fan and this concert is coming anywhere near you, and I mean within a 500 mile radius, it is a must see event!

If it weren’t for that pesky thing called “reality”,  I would sell all my belongings and become a United Tour roadie.  I told the hubby it would be kinda’ like those folks that follow Widespread Panic.  Except there would be no dread-locks or tye-dye, and bathing would be a must.

 

The only thing I regret is that I didn’t take my camera, I settled for my son’s, which is good, but not that good.  So here are a few photos I took:

 

100_0624_edited-1

100_0630 

100_0634

 

And as a bonus, just for you:

 

Banner 2 Banner 1 go!

4 comments:

Valarie Lea said...

That is so great! I am sure you had a wonderful time. Toby Mac is coming in a couple of months and I can't wait to go to that!

Nik said...

I bet it was an EXCELLENT concert. We're big Toby Mac fans here and I'm tempted to take my son to his concert for his birthday.

Glad you enjoyed yourself! I'm giggling at the phones swaying...I guess that is the lighter of today!

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Oh! I know you had a blast!

ultradust@gmail.com said...

Hi! I made a new Relient K News blog (haha) and I intend to make it the most up to date blog about the band. Come and visit.
Leave a comment so I can link to you.

Thanks!
Anna.